Tuesday 22 January 2013

RESTAURANT REVIEW: CA VA - CURRENTLY CLOSED

 For when you need some peace and quiet
 
 
I loved Ca Va for being warm and quiet on a frenetic Saturday night. I turned up when it felt like all of Delhi was trying to make it to at least three weddings. I had my own set of wedding and wedding related things to attend but the thought of getting my hair done and matching earrings to shoes was too much for that Saturday night. Instead I found myself in this quiet, comfortable restaurant playing scrabble and eating pork pepperoni pizzettes with chilli flakes.
 
  
LOOKS LIKE

The other reviews I’ve been reading me tell me Ca Va got a face lift recently. I haven’t visited before but I love the new avatar with its almost ridiculously harmonious white, blue and yellow palette. Two corners have fluffy, overstuffed sofas and the rest of the tables are rustic, paint chipped wood. Board games are stacked on the side waiting for you to curl up with a glass of wine, bruschetta and good company. The other corner has a sweet, tiny, white bar tucked into it.
 
 

TASTES LIKE 

The menu reads ambitiously with sandwich, burger, pizza, soup, salad and grill options. Everyone knows the problem with all these options is ending up with dishes that turn out too similarly or the collective whole just being much less than the sum of the parts. Maybe it was just a lucky day but the smoked salmon with arugula on baguette was much more than I expected – slices of warm baked bread loaded down with generous helpings of fresh salmon and salad leaves. The pork pepperoni with chilli flakes isn't a  delicate gourmet confection but sometimes all a girl needs is melting cheese and pepperoni rounded up with oregano. The lamb meatballs in arrabiata sauce was similar, well cooked, heavily flavorful pasta with satisfying chunks of meat – not going to win the chef any stars but so satisfying. Unfortunately the tenderloin fillet steak with red wine and mushroom sauce was a disappointment. The sauce was fine but the meat much too well done. I wouldn’t recommend Ca Va for when you want a fine dining experience but its basics are in place and if you don’t try anything fancy you should walk away full and content.
 



Smoked Salmon with Arugula on Baguette

 FEELS LIKE
 
One more hurrah for non-Hauz Khas Village/ Khan Market type restaurants – the staff were helpful, considerate and prompt.
 



Tenderloin Steak with Mushroom and Red Wine Sauce

 
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW

Should you go: Definitely!
Vegetarian Options: Yes
Liquor License: Yes
Smoking Area: No
Address: 7, First Floor, Defence Colony Main Market, New Delhi
Phone: 011 30146022
 


Lamb Meatballs and Penne in Arrabiata Sauce

No comments: