Tuesday 14 January 2014

MOROCCAN CAULIFLOWER AND ALMOND SOUP

Cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education - Mark Twain

I've written about it before and I'm probably going to write about it again but's really very, very important to have a hobby. I can't think of any one thing that's given me as much joy and comfort in the past two years as this blog. It gives my interests (writing and photography) a focused purpose and me a reason to regularly apply myself to them. I also get to cultivate a skill and spend my time better understanding the world of food and cooking. More than anything I always have something to look forward to and a happy diversion for when I'm stressed or low (which is happens with a regularity I've grown to accept).
 
Whether you consider yourself "creative" or not, I think every human finds solace in creating something from scratch, with your bare hands, with the help of pen and paper, a pot of paint or even a crochet needle. And now the internet holds enough space to afford each of us a little corner to put up what we come up with. I agree that there's too many people sharing too much about themselves but I think the complaint really is with the quality of content. Owning your hobby in public makes you accountable and motivates you to keep at it. It doesn't have to be perfect but we all need a little place to call completely our own. This tiny chunk of the virtual world is mine.
 
In support of everyone out there who's trying to do more than just drink the weekend away is this recipe for Moroccan Cauliflower Soup. Hearty, healthy and a great way to use up the cauliflower your sabziwala is currently swimming in.

 
 
 
Serves 4
Recipe adapted from Good Food magazine


What you’ll need:
1 head of cauliflower (cut into florets)
1 litre vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
4 tbsp harissa
1 lemon
Handful of almonds (chopped into slivers)

Note: The quantity for the spices and harissa are only indicative – start with less and see if you need more as you go along.

How to:

1. Pour in the olive oil into a heavy bottomed pan. Fry the cumin for a minute or so and then add in the harissa paste. Cook for another couple of minutes and chuck in the cauliflower and stir it around till it browns lightly.

2. Pour in the vegetable stock, add cinnamon and some of the almonds. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.

3. By now your cauliflower should be soft. Blend the soup till smooth and taste. See if you want to add anything more.
 
4. Serve garnished with toasted almonds, a squeeze of lemon and some pepper.
 

No comments: